Saturday 25 January 2014

A Mouth Full Of Matches Interview

Alternative rock band, A Mouth Full of Matches kindly took some time out from recording their second EP to talk to me about who they are, what its been like working with Matt Hyde, the last gigs they attended and what's coming next for the band. The quintet who hail from Birmingham and Manchester way, are Tom Buxton (vocals), Helen Hebenton (bass), Jane Hebenton (lead guitar), Mark Holden (rhythm guitar), and Steven Hall (drums). They currently have their debut EP, Tasting Fire out at the moment with the sophomore to be released a little later this year.




Thanks for taking the time out to speak with me; I’ve been hearing great things about your guys so happy to be interviewing you. 

Tom: Thank you, it’s a pleasure! And thank you! It's great to talk to you too and thank you for taking an interest in our band.

Ste: Thank you! More than happy to speak to you.

A Mouth Full of Matches is an interesting choice for a name. To me it makes me think that your words/songs are almost ready to strike, something powerful, have an impact…I could be totally wrong in my interpretation though. Can you explain the meaning behind it and how you came to be known as that? 

T: That is kind of the idea of our name, it does have a few meanings; We acquired the idea after listening to 'Milos' a poem by Anis Mojgani, in one line he says:

                "Run through the streets with me with a bunch of bottles,
                  a bucket of gasoline,
                  a mouthful of matches,
                  and a pocket full of paintings
                  and a fresh faced batch of policemen to chase the fires we are lighting,
                  with a laugh and a shoulder of gold."

We translated it as basically 'put your dreams and ambitions where your mouth is' and chasing them. That's what we’re all about, we are a very passionate band and that name was the best in my opinion.

How did you all meet and ultimately form the band? Have you played together for years or did you grow up together? You have a new drummer, how did Steven come into the mix?

T: We met when we all started Coventry University. Mark, Jane and Helen already knew each other and I had bumped into Helen on the first day, they were all really cool guys and click with them instantly. We played with each other for a few years and then started A Mouth Full Of Matches but had no drummer. We used a session drummer for a little while until a friend of ours approached us saying his friend (Ste) was looking for a band. We held an audition playing one of our songs and he nailed it and he was really easy to get along with. And you got to admit that long ‘Pantene’ hair is beautiful, ahah!

S: Guess I can answer the previous question and this one at the same time! The rest of the band all knew each long before I met them, so they all came up with the band name. The poem that Tom has mentioned is the inspiration for the name. As far as joining the band, it was in December 2012 when a friend of Helen's mentioned they were looking for a drummer, and on a whim I decided to audition, and the rest is history! I got along really well with all of them and I love them to bits. 

You've been receiving some great reviews from the likes of Kerrang and Powerplay, what’s your initial reaction to being called ‘anthemic’ and ‘more relevant than most new bands’ from such well known magazines?

T: It's amazing! I still can't quite believe it! It's amazing for these big magazines and companies to like what we're doing. It's great to be called anthemic because we aim to write songs to be something to sing along to and be relatable. And being called more relevant is awesome! We do try to be different and fresh with the songs we create but still have things in our songs that we love about the music we grew up with.

S: It was such a pleasant surprise! I was very grateful that they even gave us the time to write a review and have a listen in the first place. It's something we are all very grateful for.

You have a new EP coming out soon, what can you tell us about it? Have you gone in any different directions style wise?

T: I'm really excited to be doing this EP, I love the songs on it and I hope the fans do too. I definitely connect with the songs more and love singing them. Well we feel we have found our sound from the last EP, and are just growing into what music we love best. We have quite a few influences but we don't try and make a drastic style change. 

S: I think the new release definitely contains our best work. Our style has remained mostly the same, with newer influences as we all have grown quite a bit as musicians. We've gone back to the drawing board, taken the best parts of our sound, and trimmed the fat. There are more harmonies and definitely a higher standard of composition.

What was it like working with Matt Hyde? For a relatively new band (2012) it’s got to be pretty awesome working with a Grammy nominated producer who for readers not aware, has worked with Slipknot and Bullet for my Valentine.

T: Working with him was a great experience! We still can't believe we got a chance to work with him considering the bands he's previously worked with. He definitely pushes you to achieve your best and gives you new ideas to work with. We loved every second and hope this EP will take us new places we've not been before.

S: Absolutely insane! Knowing he's worked on some of my favorite albums feels so great yet weird in such a good way. Little would I have known 4 years ago when listening to The Blackening by Machine Head, that I would be working with the guy involved in the mixing process! I can barely get my head around it. I'm studying audio engineering and production at university, and his advice on methodologies and techniques is greatly helpful! Friendliest guy ever and an absolute professional through and through.

Let’s talk events. What do AMFOM have coming up? What can the audience expect from you guys live?

T: Definitely expect an energetic and interactive live performance! Have to say we are a bit crazy on stage; I get a lot of hair in my face as Jane and Helen never stop banging their head and moving! Always getting the crowd involved is top on my list.
We have a show in Birmingham on the 1st February at the Actress and Bishop.
8th February we are in Leeds Esco Bar.
18th February we are at Dry live in Manchester.
4th March we are playing O2 Academy in Birmingham.
8th March we are playing Camden in London at the Unicorn.
Hope to see people there and would be great to meet them!

S: Mark laying down some solid riffs, and Tom belting out some epic choruses, me and Helen laying down some tasty rhythm, and Jane producing some epic lead work! Also a lot of headbanging from Helen and Jane! They never seem to stop moving haha.

I do a quick fire round with all the bands I speak to, just to get to know you all better in a less conventional way so…
First album you ever owned?

T: For me it was 'Linkin Park: live in Texas' and I also brought 'Eminem 8 mile'. Linkin Park really was a great band to start with, especially owning a live album. Hearing them live on CD, Chester's voice and how constantly brilliant it was. It was the first band that made the statement popped in my head "I want to do what they do".

S: Surprisingly, the first album I ever actually purchased myself was Eminem's compilation album 'Curtain Call: The Hits' from a small record store in my town centre, it really was my first gateway into music. At some point I took a turn to Rock and Metal, and then into heavier genres such as Grindcore and Death Metal.

New York or Los Angeles?

T: Ooo that's a tough one... Both have a great culture. California has a great music scene with a very Bohemian style, and great places like the Whisky a' Go Go for venues where greats have played. New York has a great music scene too; I hear about so many acts emerging from the underground of New York and would love to experience it first-hand. I don't think I can choose! It's so hard... Maybe after I visit both I can decide.

S: If I went to Los Angeles, there would be a chance of me meeting Arnie in California, something I must do in my life! But I would have to choose New York.

Last gig you attended? (Your own doesn't count.)

T: It was 30 Seconds To Mars last year supported by You Me At Six. Both bands were amazing and Jared has an amazing voice live. Shannon on the drums is just a machine; I love his non-traditional snare patterns.

S: The last gig I attended was HAIM at Manchester Ritz! Brilliant gig. Regardless of what other people say, they work brilliantly as a live act in my opinion.

What did you think you’d grow up to be when you were younger?

T: I was always drawing, you could never get me to stop, I wanted to be some sort of character designer for games or films. I fell in love with music when I was about 14 an saw great bands performing on stage, I knew that was what I wanted to do.

S: I was always fascinated with being a racing driver as a kid! After I discovered music at 14 then that's what I have base my life around ever since.

Favourite book?

T: Has to be one of the Batman Graphic novels, either Year One or Dark Victory. I've always loved comic books; I've got a pretty nice collection at home.

S: I've never been a reader really. The only books I fell in love with were Andy Remic's 'Spiral' series. Ultra cheesy, ultra-violent books but I loved them nonetheless!

Would you rather holiday in China or Japan?

T: Although I love both, I am really interested in Japan, their technology and their traditions. I love Samurai and Ninjas and that whole culture, so it has to be Japan. 

S: I have firm intentions to visit both someday! But if I had to choose one, it would be Japan. The present day culture is amazing, and I'm really interested in the history of the country. Plus it has some great bars!

Name a song you know all the words to. (Again, your own aren't allowed.)

T: Pretty much any 30 Seconds to Mars song!

S: A whoooole lot of City and Colour songs, Dallas Green is a genius! A specific example would be 'Save Your Scissors' from his first album.

Did you have any New Year’s Resolutions?

T: Mine were to increase my vocal range a bit more than I increased it in 2013 and continue to constantly work hard in everything I believe in.

S: I've been working out a lot through 2013, now I wish to gain even more!

T: Ste is all about the PROTEIN! Ahaha!

Crowdsurf or not to crowdsurf?

T: DEFINITELY CROWD SURF! I have wireless mic now so I'm just waiting to pounce, watch out guys ;)

S: Crowdsurf! If I ever could get off the kit long enough, with a mental enough crowd. ;D

What was the last thing you ate?

T: It was a chocolate swiss roll... NomNomNom!

S: Onion Bhaji!

Favourite childhood tv show?

T: I was really into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles probably because it was a mix of my love of reptiles and Japan. I was pretty obsessed with Robot Wars too; I had every robot as a model. 

S: SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.

Spongebob Squarepants seems a good a place as any to finish things, I'd like to thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions and I can't wait to hear the new EP! 

If you want to know more about A Mouth Full Of Matches or listen to their debut EP Tasting Fire, visit the links below:
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment